BMFC, Tiiming, and Coatings

The Punisher punisher454 at hotmail.com
Tue May 18 03:28:01 GMT 1999

>here's a thought, has anyone ever given any thought to painting the inside
>of an engine ? before you hit delete, consider how easy it is for dirt etc
>to stick to the inside of the block, under a microscope the surface must be
>like velcro. I suspect oil would return a little quicker to the pan. just a
>thought, you can flame me now.

I paint ALL My engines that I build. I DO NOT use standard engine paint for
the inside however. I use electric motor insulation paint, the stuff they
paint the windings with. It is very tough and maintains a slick surface even
after several years of use. The oil in my engines just run off the stuff and
hardly even leave any film behind. They usualy have this stuff at electric
motor rebuilding shops. I have used it on the exterior too, but it does not
seem to have the same durability. I have NEVER yet seen any signs of peeling
or flaking inside the engine.

>Has anyone run any "independent" testing on these barrier coatings for what
>they actually have seen as an improvement pre+post coating?.
>   Has any one run any endurance tests?.
>Do I need mention that this might need a complete recal to get right.
>Bruce
I have also used thermal barrier on piston domes,combustion chambers, valves
and exhause ports. It sure seems to work for me. I have built some small
blocks that were similar but the ones with the thermal coatings seem less
prone to detonation. Another advantage (especialy on the street), is the
piston expands less, therefore you can run a tighter piston/bore clearence,
which means less blow-by,less wear, less leakage which all adds up to a
better engine.