Ignition advance, was Re: alternative engines, WARPED

Aaron Willis darkmonahue at awwwsome.com
Wed May 19 06:08:13 GMT 1999

At 12:47 PM 5/18/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Just use manifold vacuum.  Carb vacuum is ported so there is no vacuum at
>idle.  This can help or hurt the idle quality.  Try it and see.
>
>Gary Derian <gderian at oh.verio.com>

	You sure about that?  I have always understood that a vac advance can
reads ported vacuum in order to affect a curve that begins as the throttle
is opened and increases as more throttle is applied, up to the point at
which all vacuum (manifold and therefore ported as well) fades under heavy
throttle openings, at which point the advance will decline again and the
engine will see only mechanical advance.  This is apparently to provide
extra advance for economy at part throttle.  Anybody who can further
illustrate this concept, please do because if I am wrong here I'm going to
have some serious rethinking to do!

	Aaron Willis
	ICQ #27386985
	AOL IM: hemiyota