Ignition advance, was Re: alternative engines, WARPED

Ken Kelly kenkelly at lucent.com
Wed May 19 15:06:49 GMT 1999

Good response! However, there were a few engines in the 70's
that didn't used ported advance. The Oldsmobile 350 "R"
engine from 76-78 was an example. My 77 Olds 350R always
failed the NJ State Emmissions test by 10% high HC because
it used manifold vacuum for advance at idle. If I plugged
the vacuum advance, and reset the idle speed to stock, it
would pass at about half the state HC level, but the milage
and drivability were terrible! It was a common problem with
these engines, and the emmission test. However in stock form
it was one of the most responsive late 70's engine, and it
had great gas milage. After owning it for 17 years and 17
inspections I got to be able to switch it back and forth in
5 minutes.

		Ken