Ignition advance, was Re: alternative engines, WARPED

Aaron Willis darkmonahue at awwwsome.com
Wed May 19 17:34:07 GMT 1999

At 07:07 AM 5/19/99 -0600, you wrote:
>>	You sure about that?  I have always understood that a vac advance can
>>reads ported vacuum in order to affect a curve that begins as the throttle
>>is opened and increases as more throttle is applied, up to the point at
>>which all vacuum (manifold and therefore ported as well) fades under heavy
>>throttle openings, at which point the advance will decline again and the
>>engine will see only mechanical advance.  This is apparently to provide
>>extra advance for economy at part throttle.  Anybody who can further
>>illustrate this concept, please do because if I am wrong here I'm going to
>>have some serious rethinking to do!
>
>Sorry Aaron--
>
>Ported vacuum was first used to provide LESS advance at idle so as to
>decrease idle emissions! (But to still keep more like the ideal advance at
>cruise.)
>
>Regards, Greg

	Right right right, that's what I said!  The vacuum advance curve BEGINS
(meaning at idle there is none) as the throttle is opened, and increases
with higher throttle openings as mentioned above.  Maybe I wasn't totally
clear on that.
	Thanks everybody for clearing this up...

	Aaron Willis
	ICQ #27386985
	AOL IM: hemiyota
	http://surf.to/garage-te51 Garage TE51 International