Limited cooling space

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Thu May 20 01:53:06 GMT 1999

>The way I see it, the coolant now "sees" a radiator that is 1/3 as high and
>3 times longer.  Why does this cool better than normal.  The log delta T is
>the same, no?  Is it a flow turbulence thing?  That is the only change I
>see.
>
>Gary Derian <gderian at oh.verio.com>

What Kenworth is doing is not what is described below--they mount two or
three separate radiators, one in front of the other, and pipe them in
series, with the warmest coolant going to the rear one, then to themiddle
on, then to the front. This gives a closer approximation to a true
counterflow heat exchanger. A true counter flow heat exchanger gives a
greater log mean temp. difference, and thus performs better.

Greg