Simple Injection Questions

Gary Derian gderian at oh.verio.com
Fri May 21 12:54:57 GMT 1999

I think a single cylinder engine will have a very discontinuous air flow
which effectively eliminates MAP and MAF.  The simplest system I can think
of is alpha-n, rpm and throttle position.  It can be mapped to a lookup
table and then corrected for temperature and exhaust O2.  But why do you
insist on closed loop?  As far as I know, that is most useful for making a 3
way cat work.  Without a cat, you actually want a lean cruise and rich PE.
Neither of which are well indicated with a normal O2 sensor.

To answer your second question, no, you don't need to include ignition
timing although there are advantages associated with electronic spark
timing.

Gary Derian <gderian at oh.verio.com>

> Hi, I've been lurking for a little while and have a couple of questions.
> It seems this list is very detail oriented, my questions are more
specific.

> I would like to know how to make a very simple injection system, possibly
the
> simplest
> available design, with the caveat that it must be closed loop, and have
> reasonably good
> performance.  My current plan revolves around a 68HC11 or '332 with an O2
> sensor.  This will be targeted at a 650cc single cylinder motorcycle
engine.  I
> assume I will also need a tach sensor, throttle position sensor, and some
kind
> of manifold sensor.  What is the minimum subset of sensors that you need?
What