Simple Injection Questions

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Fri May 21 18:11:09 GMT 1999

Alpha-N  means the EFI just uses Throttle Posistion, and rpm to figure fuel
and/or timing.
  PE  is Power enrichment.
  Self tuning is a dream for really high performance.  There is no way to
optimize tuning other than by testing.  Self compensating for slight
changes, maybe..  If you change the volumetic effeciency, the you'll have to
test to find best Air Fuel Ratio, and to be best, would also, be optimizing
timing.
  "Self-Tunig", is a buzz word.  Compensating does exist in the world as we
know it.
  Self Tuning was done by the Cutler EFI Co., in FL.  But, they are out of
business as far as I know.  The problem was loading the engine down long
enough at one time for the computer to learn things.   Talked with a guy who
had done several of the installations, and after 4, he was finished trying.
Took many hours on dyno, and 2 applications were boats.  Not enough waterway
for unlimited WOT testing.
  Single cylinder closed loop might be a real challenge.  The time from
cycle to cycle is so long..  To get any averages you'd be using waiting days
for when to apply the correction, unless you go event by event and at low
rpm you might wind up with stalling before an odd event is averaged out.
Singles can be very erratic at idle, from what Cub work i did years ago.
  A basic Alpha-N, with barometric, and Intake air Temp compensation would
be about as sweet and complex as I'd think would be practicle.
  Probably best to use a "fixed" pullse at idle (other than for the above
corrections), and some pots for accleration, transistion (accleration, and
decleration), and WOT tuning.
  Might use a WB O2 for just seeing where you are, rather than close looping
it.
Just my 02 cents
Grumpy

| > I think a single cylinder engine will have a very discontinuous air flow
| > which effectively eliminates MAP and MAF.  The simplest system I can
think
| > of is alpha-n, rpm and throttle position.  It can be mapped to a lookup
| Ok, MAP/MAF = manifold air pressure/flow right?What's alpha-n?
| > table and then corrected for temperature and exhaust O2.  But why do you
| > insist on closed loop?  As far as I know, that is most useful for making
a 3
| > way cat work.  Without a cat, you actually want a lean cruise and rich
PE.