NTK UEGO response

Gar Willis garfield at cyberlynk.com
Sun May 23 23:53:51 GMT 1999

On Sun, 23 May 1999 14:25:06 -0500, Steve Gorkowski <kb4mxo at mwt.net> wrote:

>...if you buy there meter you have to make the data linear
>after it gets to your pc and they want over $1000 dollars? Must me nice to be
>the only game in town .

Huh? They are not the only game in town, nor is that even a "meter" the curve
refers to. Both Horiba and E.C.M. sell interfaces OR meters, both that have
linearized AFR-to-Vout curves. The so-called "NTK UEGO Controller" is NOT a
meter. It's like EGOR-the-module, it's a basic "interface".

I think the reason the NTK "interfaces/controllers" are the way they are, is
that historically, when the papers first describing their sensor were published,
they discussed a pump-current to voltage translation that was a direct mapping
from the current to Vout. The interface wasn't designed with direct-reading of
AFR, or logging, or ease of computer interfacing in mind, so much as directly
reflecting the electrical characteristics of the sensor, which was after all
what they were touting.

Course, if you look at it another way, the NTK "Controller" is the cheapest
low-end NTK UEGO equipment available to date; the E.C.M and Horiba devices are
roughly double the NTK price; that is, until EGOR becomes available. B)