NTK UEGO response

Gar Willis garfield at cyberlynk.com
Mon May 24 00:16:10 GMT 1999

On Sun, 23 May 1999 17:30:47 -0400, "C. Brooks" <cbrooks1 at tqci.net> wrote:

>Thanks Gar, guess I should have emphasized that a little more.

Oh I dunno, probly most everyone caught the drift; I was just tryna head off the
few stray neophytes. The NTK product, and the whole situation with the exclusive
rights to make meters by Horiba, coupled with the odd situation with E.C.M makes
both the products and their description kinda an odd crazy-quiltish affair,
methinks.

>I saw your
>post on EGOR. When do you think you will release the price for it? I'm
>asking because I'm planning on buying the NTK box at the end of the month.

We have to accomplish two things before that can happen: (1) finish the move
into our new building, and (2) get closure with the mfg. company that's gonna be
making the meters (the meters, not the modules) on THEIR pricing structure and
rollout schedule. It's not really gonna effect the EGOR-the-module price, that's
already been set actually, but we can't announce the module until they're ready
to announce the meter product availability & pricing.

I mentioned to someone privately, and can maybe say this much about the price.
The MODULE (please note everyone, I'm talkin now about EGOR-the-module) will be
priced with the goal of making it possible for any experimenter to build either
a WOT/closed-loop engine management setup OR a rudimentary AFR meter, using
EGOR-the-module, for $350 or less (had to bump it up $50 due to inflation :),
*including* the Honda sensor (yes, the $350 allowance INCLUDES the Honda sensor
cost; altho it appears we won't be selling them, the cost of buying one from
your local Honda dealer IS included in that $350 figure). Now, since yous guys
should know roughly how much a Honda/NTK sensor costs, and how much a handful of
parts, LEDs or LCDs, etc. cost, you can probly guess roughly what the MODULE is
gonna havta cost for you to be able to build yer own complete stuff for <$350.

You will see that the assembled meter will ALSO be aggressively priced to kick
competitive butt with the NTK-interface, Horiba, E.C.M., etc.'s lowest end
devices as well, AND provide better functionality for the far fewer bucks. The
idea is that NOW, there is enough of a market to go for some volume, instead of
treating them as high-end devices only racing teams are interested in/can
afford. The times, they are a-changin.

Gar