alternative engines, now Hemi

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Mon May 24 21:24:33 GMT 1999

At 02:55 PM 5/24/99 -0700, you wrote:
>OK David,
>
>Ya just made me think of a question havin to do with the 'diesel'
>principle that you just stated....
>
>Most diesels' static compression ratio's are pretty much over 20:1
>right?

For the most part... some turbo diesels are 18:1 or so, but normally
aspirated diesels are 22:1 to 25:1 CR

>Why don't they just squirt regular fuel in at these temps instead of
>diesel?

the rate of combustion would be too high and the detonation resistance too
low... Basically would blow the heads right off the engine!
(Seen it happen on a mercedes 300D... guy filled up with Regular gas and
drove off... about a block later, heard a large BOOM and he was at the side
of the road with lots of smoke...  Opened the hood and it appeared to have
sheared the head bolts... head was about 1/4" above the block!)

           David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
   Sponges grow in the ocean... Wonder how deep it would be if they didn't?!