question on cooling system

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Tue May 25 21:16:56 GMT 1999

Stowe, Ted-SEA wrote:

> this may sound crazy but I thought I'd ask.
>
> question, in working on my Chevy 350 block, (valve job), I noticed that my
> cooling system, (heater core, block) is not pristine. in accidentally
> finding some heavy hydraulic web sites, I wondered if anyone has ever
> thought of some kind of filter in the heater hoses to trap rust, scale, etc,
> rather than letting it flow through the system.
>
> some of the stuff I've seen on the web, (not automotive), has been real
> impressive looking, at the very least one might use a patch of clear tubing
> and visually see the color/flow/ air content of the coolant, might be
> interesting.
>
> thanks, Ted.
Fleet applications use this type of approach.  Filter the coolant, and
add a supplement every year.  Automotive industry recommends complete
replacement/flush at 30K for traditional coolant.  What you see in the
block is from an, err, extended maintainance schedule, combined with
tap water.  Have you found clear tubing that will survive in auto
apps?  The stuff in the shop's coolant flush machine discolored after
a year, and it had few hours on it, relatively speaking.
Shannen