305V8 convert to EFI

Frederic Breitwieser frederic at xephic.dynip.com
Tue May 25 22:35:55 GMT 1999

> I have an 84 Cutlass with a 305V8 that I would like to try converting to EFI
> if it isn't too expensive (its my beater car :).  Since its a Canadian car,
> there is no computer in there.  It has a 4-barrel QuadraJet (I believe its
> 650CFM), vacuum advance HEI distributer with Accell Super Coil :), 4-Speed
> Auto with 2.29 axle (low rever :)

You have many options.

1. Holley 4D or 4DI system.  Carb-like creature that attaches to your
existing intake, and adjust electronically to your tastes.

2. Find a TBI system on a 350cid engine (Trucks especially).  Make a
carb plate that converts the 2-bbl TBI system to the 4bbl intake, or
swap the intakes out, attach computer, wires, and you're done.  Junkyard
cost with the intake (at my local get-grimy-you-pull-it) is about 200
bucks.

3. Find a 305/350 Camaro/Firebird/Monte with the TPI setup, and leach.
About the same price give or take a few bucks.

4. Swap entire engine with an EFI engine (sometimes about 300-400 bucks
complete).