Ignition retard knock sensor.

d houlton x0710 tc75918 at hpra5.msc.az.boeing.com
Wed May 26 16:28:21 GMT 1999

Bruce Plecan wrote:

> I'd get an EGT, and Oil Temp guage on that, right away.

Geez, I'm beginning to think I've been extremely lucky so far.

I did some checking into an EGT gauge a few months ago.  Asked the
list about it too.  The AutoMeter EGT gauge was on the order of $250.
I did get some leads on some cheaper alternatives, some targeted
towards aviation, but I haven't followed through with them yet.  I
was led to believe that EGT wasn't a critical thing to monitor unless
I'm running lean, which I've been using the A/F meter to avoid.  FWIW,
my exhaust manifold and turbine scroll housing are ceramic coated as
well.

Oil temp I considered as well, but with a water cooled turbo and a
large capacity cooling system I felt it wasn't critical.  Mayhap it
is after all?

> I'd get Corky Bell's and Hugh Mc Innes books on turbos in short order, also.

I've got them both which is where I learned 99% of what I know about
turbos and used them extensively during the installation.  I know Corky
stresses the importance of monitoring oil temp, but he also stated that
water cooled turbos pretty much eliminated any turbo overheating problems
as well, hence my lack of an oil temp gauge right now.

Perhaps though, now that I know I will be running extended boost when
loaded down that I should get one to know what's going on and install
an oil cooler if necessary?

thanks for the patience...
--Dan
houlster at inficad.com