EGT gauge (was: Re: Ignition retard knock sensor.)

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Wed May 26 21:06:38 GMT 1999

All out racing, one per cylinder, 6" or less from valve, during
developement.
Cast iron, keeps more heat in.  Tubular run cooler.
Equally distant better.
For racing you want max power, and depending on materials can go to where no
man travels.  For general street use you have to look for best resonable
power.  Does, 1550dF make enough difference in your testing to be worth the
extra wear and tear, for what that HP is.  For instantance, if you run a
13.5 at 1575, and 13.4 is done at 1500dF.  Is it worth it?.  That is your
choice.  Right now in our Puller, were running a 975dF EGT.  Way too cool
for max power.  But, at this rate the guy that signs the checks is happy.
The CID he's running is the smallest in his class, so an out right win
against some of these really high rent jobs is unlikely, yet at this temp.
we can do a top 5 anytime, usually better, and drive it onto the trailer.
Racing can be dun for fun, and not as an exercise in check writting.   Which
is what he likes.
  Also, you can find the best fuel/timing to get a given EGT, on some
combinations,  you can run much different fueling/timing, for similiar EGTs.
One usually makes more power.  If you run the high temp, might as well make
as much power as possible.
  EGT is for comparison in optimizing your tune-up.  There are general
guidelines, but optimizing your setup is all that really matters at the end
of the day.
Bashful

| Question for anyone who knows,
| WHERE would be the best place to install one of these EGT setups on the
| engine itself?  Where in the exhaust system?
| I have a v-8 or two one with headers one with just exhaust manifolds
| whcih I'd like to throw an EGT on!
| Do I need one per cylinder or is that overkill?
| I'm sure one per cylinder would be optimum, but what are the other
| options?
| Thanks!
 Todd....!!