alternative engines, now Hemi

.. rap at aci.net
Wed May 26 21:19:14 GMT 1999

CLsnyder wrote:
I've been a Mopar Man for years - owned a 241 cu Hemi Coronet (1953) among
others. Interest in old cars has had me owning, over the years, a '28 chevy
national, '35 chevy master, 37 hudson terraplane, '53 coronet sierra (hemi), '57
fargo custom express(rarest truck produced by chrysler since the 2nd war), '63
valiant 170, '49 VW beetle, etc. etc.

CL;
Do you recall the Dodge 241 cu.in. demo engine that was set-up as a 4 overhead
cam system back in the mid-to-late '50's? If Chrysler would have made that an
actual production engine things would sure have been even more interesting. As I
recall (fuzzily) they were going to try to get USAC to allow it as a stock block
based installation - or something along those lines. Carl Kiekhaefer (of the
Mercury Outboard Motors fame) may have had a hand somewhere in there I suppose
as he (or rather his staff of race technicians) developed Chrysler's race hemi's
for the Nascar series (Chrysler 300 based cars) in his race shop in Oshkosh, Wi.
I recall that they developed heads, cams, manifolds, etc for Chrysler - complete
with Chrysler part #'s...
rap