alternative engines, now Hemi

Jim Davies jimd at vcc.bc.ca
Wed May 26 23:52:37 GMT 1999

On Wed, 26 May 1999 Don.F.Broadus at ucm.com wrote:

> I like the story about the guys running at the salt flats with their Hemi
> powered creation, it seems they blew the engine so they went back to the
> hotel pulled the Hemi out of the tow car ,put the hot cam and carbs off of
> the blown engine,raced it , set a record, and then put the Hemi back in the
> tow car and drove home. You gotta love it.

Sounds like the old tale about the Surfers, a SoCal AA fueler team. At a
Nationals meet, they ran out of parts before the final run, so it was made
using 5 alum rods and forged blower pistons, 2 stock rods with cast hicomp
pistons and a hose clamp over the missing rods oil hole on the crank.
They won TFE. Must be true, I saw it in Hot Rod mag...