Knock sensor thread pitch?

Jason_Leone at amat.com Jason_Leone at amat.com
Thu May 27 19:06:07 GMT 1999

Anybody know what the available thread pitch is on a standard single wire GM
knock sensor? 1/8 NPT?

Reason I ask is this...I'm using an Electromotive TEC II on my VW VR6 engine,
but the TEC II wants one single wire GM knock sensor. I currently have dual
Bosch knock sensors (one per bank of cylinders) that came with the factory
Motronic 2.9 system (but they aren't doing anything, obviously). The Bosch knock
sensors are multi wire, and not single. I'll have to check my Bentley Manual
wiring diagrams, to figure out the Bosch knock sensor wiring (-gnd, shield,
+pos, etc.). I'm wondering if the tapped threads in the VR6 block will accept a
GM knock sensor...perhaps the Bosch knock sensors are a metric thread (12mm or
so)?

Another thought is to use a Bosch single wire knock sensor from the late '80s
and early '90s 4 cyl/8v VWs. What do you guys think?

Oh yeah, "Todd...!!" gets the award for the most posts in a DIY_EFI digest. Get
to work Todd, go buy some foreclosures or something! =)

Jason
'93 SLC