O/T Compression ratio and supercharging, also efi pumps

Rudi Machilek rudi at vnet.net
Fri May 28 05:17:33 GMT 1999

I used to run an E-sports 850.  850's were notorious for burning the center main and #3 rod.  That and a lack of an oil filter (OK the centrifugal inside the crank pulley did sort-of work) made for one weak bottom end.  There was an external oiling mod that took oil from the head and flowed through a hose to a fitting and hole drilled trough the side of the block into the oil galley above the center main.  Someone with Abarth experience might be able to tell you the exact point.
The heads will likely need to be o-ringed.  Running 11.5:1 we blew head gaskets regularly.  We modified one head to accept 4 Mikuni carbs.  With 14 cm or so stacks and tuned exhaust, it ran quite nicely.  Adding injectors to the Mikunis would be great.  You could also add injectors into the log manifold directly above the intakes.  The original head with the center mounted Weber did not flow well (or evenly) at all.  The #4 cylinder ran extremely lean.  With injectors mounted directly to the head, I am nor sure how you could even that out.
Oil provides a great deal of cooling in that engine.  Abarth had a mode for an external oil filter and oil cooling.  A must for HO operation.  The 843cc engines had a finned cast aluminum oil pan that cooled better than the later stamped steel pan.

Enough rambling, good luck with your project.

Rudi Machilek
90 Camaro TBI
93 T-bird TPI
86 Suburban, project conversion to TBI