NC: 2.9X posi IRS pumpking donor/halfshaft q?

Pat Ford pford at qnx.com
Fri May 28 12:41:17 GMT 1999

Previously, you (Ross Corrigan) wrote:
> I know this is NC but I'm just amazed at some feedback/backgrounds members
> can relate back so here goes. (plus I know theirs several owners of
> possible donors on these lists)
>
> A fella from Detroit called me up this eve. on a net tip from a friend that
> I'd checked out swapping a 'vette posi into a Datsun Z car.  Neat to hear
> his name when he intro'd as I knew it immediately as a fella that had a
> gorgeous older Z in Hotrod a year ago April or May as an import w/ domestic
> muscle feature.  Anyhow, we were trying to figure out how one could
> fabricate 'telescoping' halfshaft for such a swap (he thought I'd solved
> this but it hadn't even occurred to me yet).  Vette's (I'm not v. familiar
> w/ their setup) have fixed length halfshafts and our Z's all have
> compressible telescoping  halfshafts and he hasn't been able to find a shop
> that has a clue on fabricating anything similar.

how about a fwd half shaft most have a double offset joint on the inboard
end. put one of those on either end of a shaft??

>  I've got nil
> exposure to other makes etc but thought some BMW's or Mercedes (or any
> other) might have feasible donor diff's for this swap as well??  Basically
> he's looking for an ~8.25" or larger ring gear posi pumpkin w/ low ratios
> (~3 or even less).  He said the viper ratio is 3.07, no ideer if other

Thats aroud the same as a subaru

Pat Ford                           email: pford at qnx.com
QNX Software Systems, Ltd.           WWW: http://www.qnx.com
(613) 591-0931      (voice)         mail: 175 Terrence Matthews
(613) 591-3579      (fax)                 Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2M 1W8