Prowler V6

Jim Davies jimd at vcc.bc.ca
Fri May 28 18:15:03 GMT 1999

On Fri, 28 May 1999, Frederic Breitwieser wrote:

> One thing I will state about the Chevy engine, is its a bottom oiler,
> whereas most ford/mopar engines are top oilers.  This means in a Chevy
> 350, the crank journals are oiled first.  Interesting tidbit I got
> from the local machine shop this morning.

The SBC oiling layout in the block is similar to the FE Ford except more
oil gets past the cam area to the crank. The mopar layout also has the oil
going to the lifter bores first, then it goes to the mains and Vs off to
the cam bearings. This system seemed to work okay in the 426 Hemi after
they switched to full groove main bearings. Mopar had some tuners-tips
mods to A block systems that included reamed and sleeving the primary
lifter bore feed circuit. I dont know of any bottom-oiling domestic V8s,
but the BBC and 427 Fords are side oilers. Honda makes some bottom oiling
engines, but the best layout I know of were in the V-1710 and V-1650
V-12s. Best system I have seen is the end-shot system used in the 100
series Merlins. Very nice.