Turbo'd s.b. chev...in a 69 Camaro? maybe?

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Sat May 29 13:04:20 GMT 1999

At 04:00 PM 5/28/99 -0700, you wrote:

>Most first-generation [meaning in the 1980s] car turbo systems were
>non-intercooled. Later ones were sometimes air-to-air intercooled. A few
>were liquid-to-air-intercooled. It roughly followed the "rule of 7" --
>non-intercooled meant max boost about 7 psi, air intercooled meant max
>boost about 14 psi, liquid intercooled about 21 psi.

Hmm... My non-intercooled 85 Buick GN ran 14PSI boost stock... the 86/87's
went to 17-18 PSI if conditions were favorable (intercooled) and the water
to air intercooled Syclone/Typhoon only ran 15 or so PSI...
The problem with a water to air intercooled turbo on MOST cars is they use
the engines own coolant... this means it's not cooler than 180 degrees once
the engine is up to temp... The Syclone.Typhoon used antifreez, but it was
a seperate circuit with it's own pump and mini radiator... It's problem was
the pump wasn't triggerred by the ECM until the temps got way up.
           David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
   Sponges grow in the ocean... Wonder how deep it would be if they didn't?!