"Manually shfting" an auto tranny...

DemonTSi at aol.com DemonTSi at aol.com
Mon May 31 23:49:12 GMT 1999

Hi folks, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to trannies, and was wondering if
someone with a bit of knowledge of modern auto trannies might help me out. Am
I correct in assuming that most newer auto trans (maybe even old ones too?)
use a single solenoid to control the flow of oil, which determines the
shifting of the tranny? If so, is it possible to control the shift points of
the tranny, assuming that you eliminate the stock programming in the tranny
ECU? I was just thinking that one could hook up a switch to that shifting
solenoid and shift "manually"...or maybe it can still be done, but another
way?
Any help would be great.....!

Van
- http://members.xoom.com/BADROC