Electromotive CPS Pinout

Tom Parker parkert at ihug.co.nz
Wed Nov 10 22:21:57 GMT 1999

Jason Leone <srgnt03 at earthlink.net> wrote:

>DIY_EFI Digest wrote:
>>
>> From: "Tom Parker" <parkert at ihug.co.nz>

>> I've just bought an electromotive crank trigger wheel and sensor. The
>> sensor has 3 wires: a red one, a black one and a braided shield. I'm
>> assuming that the sensor is a normal hall effect device. This would mean
>> there is a ground, a power supply and a sensor output.
>>
>> Does it need any current limiting resistor in the power supply?
>>

>You should have a Black wire (this is the shield), a Green wire (this is
>for the sensor ground), and a Red wire (this goes to the MAG PU signal
>input on the TEC II). So, the Red should be the signal wire.

Um... so you're saying that there is a sensor ground, a shield and a signal
wire?

What sort of sensor is this? Is it a hall effect sensor (which definatly
require a power supply) or something I am not familiar with, like a reluctor?

I've just hooked it up to my osciliscope. Between the black wire and the red
wire I get quite a good signal (of the order of 1 volt p-p) by waving bits of
metal in front of the sensor. There doesn't appear to be a connection between
the braided sheild and anything else.

Can someone explain how this sensor works? Is it just a coil of wire with a
magnet through it, and when metal comes near it disturbs the field changing
the flux through the coil and therefore inducing a voltage? Is this the
reluctor sensor that I've heard about?

Tom Parker - parkert at ihug.co.nz
           - http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/8381/