[admin] What next.... (MUST READ)

Drew Eckhardt drew at Poohsticks.Org
Thu Nov 11 21:33:24 GMT 1999

In message <382AEA35.81536577 at arm.com>, sravet at arm.com writes:
>As far as a domain name, I think
>the cost is very reasonable, like $70/year or something.

NSI charges $70 when you first register (I think this is for two years,
although I could be wrong - all my domains were registered when it was free
or paid for by someone else), $35 a year after that.

>John, can you give us an idea what the minimum requirements would be for
>a machine to handle the lists in non digest mode and the WWW traffic?

Not much.  For the most part, we're I/O bound by the network.  486-66s
and ancient Suns with similar processing power make fine mailing list/ftp
servers, firewalls, etc;

>I guess a 100 Mbit/sec connection would also be good?

It would neither hurt nor help.