Motronic 4.1 newbie---dumb move

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Mon Nov 15 15:58:29 GMT 1999

From: Derek Kaznoski <sweetpea1998 at hotmail.com>
Subject: Motronic 4.1 newbie---dumb move

Gotta immediately stop, when having a problem.   Backfires "can" kill all
kinds of sensors, ie MAP/MAF/Air Flow metering....

IF it even acts like it wants to backfire, try to figure out the problem, or
prime the engine so that it doesn't backfire...  Backfires/Heavy Missing=BAD

Maybe disconnecting the battery will clear any short term corrections and
allow you to restart..
Grumpy

| OK, the saga continues.  I've been trying to troubleshoot my idle problem
| and I was really getting close to a solution thanks to all of the input
I've
| received from the list.
|
| HOWEVER, during troubleshooting, I forgot to reconnect one of the injector
| leads (as well as the temp sensor lead) and I started the engine (with
some
| obvious difficulty) several times (I know, I'm a ham-fisted bonehead).
| Obviously it had some severe missing, then rushed way up the rpm scale,
then
| backfired and quit (again, several times).  I finally found the leads and
| reconnected them.  However, restarting the engine produced similar
results,
| and it sounded really strange. It will start with difficulty, but won't
run
| at all.
|
| Was this a fatal error?  What can I do or look for to figure this out?
I'm