'98 L31 Vortec 350 distributorless custom setup??

Ross Corrigan zxv at istar.ca
Tue Nov 16 04:33:28 GMT 1999

I just bought a '98 350 as above w/ 16k km's on it.  It's minus any EFI
stuff and had a new edelbrock intake. I've sold teh intake and vortec heads
to a friend so I can put my alum. rpm's or afr's on it (haven't decided
which, will sell whichever I don't use) etc.  It's going into my 280ZX
which has a 327 right now, so the aluminum/lighter weight is important for
my weight balance/steering effort etc.

Back to my q. This engine has a plastic front cover and the seller told me
what looks like a similar size for a 5/8 heater hose hookup on it's bottom
pass. side is a crank angle sensor!  So after I got it home my heads
spinning on the chance I might be able to make a distributorless ignition
system without breaking the bank assuming I understood right this crank is
already setup for this??

I"m v. green on ignition's so any url's etc are v. welcome.

I have a crane HI-6 new gathering dust and a used holley 4Di system.  I
planned to use the 4Di system for this motor and was going to ask if the
crane HI6 unit can be hooked up w/ the 4Di?  Now I need to know how/if what
I need to go distributorless??  I have a set of MSD universal wires I was
going to cut to replace my current worn out MSD's but now I'll hold off
till I know which direction this ignition is going to take.

PS the motor will likely be run on a performer 600cfm for the first while
till I sort out some other issues on my EFI list like new fuel
lines/laptop/time to sort out etc. So the any changes if I go
distributorless w/o the 4Di are of interest as well (the 4Di can control
the timing curve as I understand it).

Thanks for any and all info.

Ross Corrigan  /  Vancouver, Canada          4.11 R200's available

  '80 327ZX   IZCC#255, Edmonton Z-car Club #44, British Columbia ZCR
Life's a journey, not a destination.. Enjoy the pitstops and maximize the
straights
mailto:zxv at istar.ca     *New ICQ # 11549358
http://home.iSTAR.ca/~zxv/index.shtml
http://207.212.212.139/~corrigan/gearheads/pics/wheels/sirbg.jpg    where a