TRD Supercharger

Robert Wimmer WIMMERR at gunet.georgetown.edu
Mon Nov 22 18:53:15 GMT 1999

I am considering installing a Toyota Racing Development (TRD) supercharger on my 3.4 L V-6 truck.  Although this kit was developed specifically for the Toyota 3.4 engine many people still complain of drivability problems including high RPM leanness.  The 6psi kit originally came with a rising rate regulator, which has since deleted, and the application list changed to include only 97 and newer trucks.  I have a 96.

As a result, I have been trying educating myself on the vehicle's fuel system  to determine if it can handle the supercharger.  My studies have lead me to the following questions which I hope the EFI experts on this list could answer.

1) Based on the equations I have seen on this list, the stock 250cc/min injectors should be able to flow enough fuel to handle 6psi boost at 5500 RPM.  This assumes a fuel rail pressure of 60-65psi.  Is this correct?

2) Is there a way to determine when airflow will exceed the MAF and ECU's ability to maintain the proper A/F mixture at stock fuel pressure?  I would like to have some idea when (RPM @WOT) to begin boosting fuel pressure prior to installing the supercharger.

3)  Is there a simple way to increase fuel pressure based on boost pressure and engine rpm?  I would like to avoid running overly rich, due to increasing fuel pressure based strictly on boost, while still within the MAF control range.

I guess if I'm really lucky, one of the list's readers will have installed and "dialed in" one of these TRD superchargers.

TIA,

Bob Wimmer

96 T100