a little newsgroup response

Randall Young randallyoung at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 23 02:36:53 GMT 1999

Ken Kelley wrote :

> Although, I do admit it makes it easier for spammers to get your address;
> isn't it pretty easy for them to get it in the first place? (Even without
> being in a newsgroup?)

My experience has been that spammers are _much_ less likely to harvest your
name from a mail list.
The first hurdle is that they have to find out about the list, and subscribe
to it.  The second is that now someone (the list manager) has an accurate
e-mail address for them.  Most spammers prefer to remain as anonymous as
possible, to keep the mobs with pitchforks and torches from the door <g>

Randall