DIY_EFI Digest V4 #562

Bob Tom tigers at bserv.com
Tue Oct 5 20:17:26 GMT 1999

>Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 13:33:12 +0100
>From: Ade + Lamb Chop <alaw at mrc.soton.ac.uk>
>Subject: How completcated does Efi HAVE to be?
>
>I am into minis, something a lot of americans probably won't have even
>heard of never mind seen! Up until recently minis had single point throttle
>body injection. You can pick up the inlet manifold, throttle body with the
>following sensors, The system is a MAP system. I was just wondering how few
>sensors I need to make it work. Make my own ECU and keep it simple.
>Calibration would be done on a dyno using a lap top. No need for a Heated
>o2 sensor, don't need it to learn really.

There is a EFI Control System called the Alpha-N which calculates air flow by
measuring only engine rpm (via coil) and throttle position via a Throttle
Position sensor.  Pros are simple installation and compatible with radically-
cammed engines.  Cons are no closed-looped operation, inferior part-throttle
cruise metering and entire fuel map must be reprogrammed.  A MAP can be
optionally
used but mainly as a input for barometric pressure for different altitudes.
This system is used for racing or heavily-modified street engines with big
cams
and low vacuum.

Bob, Burlington, Ontario
'97 FR CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto., 15.234 @ 87.26