DIY_EFI Digest V4 #567

Frederic Breitwieser frederic at xephic.dynip.com
Fri Oct 8 10:57:45 GMT 1999

> Surely it doesn't have to be *that* accurate? Why not use the coil? 2 per
> Rev should be enough, you only need speed not accurate position?

If you live in 70 degree weather year round, you can get away with
crank/cam position and Throttle position only, and use a simple trigger
to fire injectors and/or DIS systems.  A group of us fooled around with
a 555 timer on a mailing list called "simpleefi", and some of the folks
started to build it.  Not sure what is up.  This of course doesn't
compensate for barometric or temperature changes. Shove a 0-5V MAF in
the system and you will get some of this control.

The problem with all this "simple" stuff is that there are so many
things that will affect your engine's performance, two sensors and a MAF
isn't going to cut it if you want mileage and performance and
acceleration all year round.  I agree that its not specifically
necessary to have 32-bit digital electronics to achieve this, however
with the technology getting smaller, faster and more reliable every day,
its certainly becoming easier to use.

--

Frederic Breitwieser
Xephic Technology