DIY_EFI Digest V4 #573

Ade + Lamb Chop alaw at mrc.soton.ac.uk
Mon Oct 11 20:42:34 GMT 1999

At 05:00 11/10/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Ade,
>The point I was trying to make (and it's pretty significant), is that you
>can't 'continuosly stream' from a TBI injector, it's either on or off, it
>squirts defined amounts of fuel at predefined intervals. Theoretically, you
>could turn on and off a lot more times in the engine cycle to approach the
>carb 'model', but I think if you use a big enough injector to cope with high
>load flow, you'd run into calibration problems at low speed because of the
>short 'on' period.

That will make life difficult. However, All of the air that flows into the
intake goes into a combustion chamber eventually. So you have to get the
right amount of fuel into all of the air? You cannot just squirt stuff in
occasionally. Which is where 'continous stream' comes in Obviously as the
injector is only an on/off valve you would have your Pulse width modulation
and hope pulses of fuel are disturbed enough by the throttle butterfly to
even them out.

>I've been trying to confirm if Rover use the same principle as GM, ie.
>asynchronous injection - no answer yet....

I understand the general what most of the different sensors do as it is
fairly easy to convert from Carb to FI if you understand what each sensor
is doing. However I can only do this for the stuff that works in a similar
way to carbs.. stuff like asyncronous injection is a little beyond me at
the moment. could someone explain or is there a site that explains these
somewhere?

FWIW the rover mini system is a MEMS system... what ever that means.

Thanx,

Ade