DIY_EFI Digest V4 #580

Espen Hilde mwichstr at online.no
Fri Oct 15 22:40:13 GMT 1999

> > Mercury delivers a high perf 200 dfi that took 2 place at paris ruoen
24
> > hour (river) race.The ability to run lean  burn  conditions is great
for
> > reliability as  I see it.
>
> Do they really deliver it? Given that it has a lower unit that can't
> reverse, it wouldn't make much sense for anything but racing.
I think they used a standard gearcase, they didnt have to change the lower
unit during the race.They saved lots of time that way.
I havent sen any pictures or description of the lover unit they used.
 And as a racer
> you get more power per cubic inch from an XR2, 2.5EFI or even a 300
ProMax.

> > I have 2  2.5efi high performance engines that I am reparing, line
boring

> Are they any fun?
Just problems so far, but nice to look at with mahle forged pistons,
lots of ports .aluminium Nicasil treated sleeves. Big reed blocks.
and the v8 inspired trottle body.The loverunits are beauties, I have a
slightly modified Yamaha 225hp with nose cone that I have to fill with
padding all the time, I want to weld it but maybe it will change because of
the heat.Maybe the new lowerunits from Yamaha with biger skeg and
low water pickups has the same gear and internals as the one I have .

I have very modified Yamaha 200
What modifications have you done?

that will get an EFI
> system if it is still running when I can aford one (eg MADEFI) or find
time
I have looked at the mad efi myself, no I am hoping that 332 efi would
do the trick.

I would like to play with the ignition also...
Do you have any info on recalibrating the ignition system on the Yamaha
engine?
> to build something... Performance below 4000 RPM is not exactly stunning
when
> using carbs.
What hp does it make?
I read somewhere that the ox66 engine used GM corvette ecu.

> > They have analog efi with old d-jetronic peek and hold injectors.(As
> > standard)
>
> Is this the 260hp version?
Yes.

> > The new 2.5 efis has digital boxes ,Motorolabased.
>
> The 280hp machines?
Yes.

Espen Hilde