DIY_EFI Digest V4 #597

CSH-HQ nacelp at jvlnet.com
Sat Oct 23 12:18:34 GMT 1999

98%of the injector problems, I've/friends/customers have had, usually were a
problem with the fuel.  The detergent packages vary greatly, and depending
on what/where you use for fuel can be a critical issue.  Generally, a major
brand, busy station is best.  The bargain brand stuff, can be quite old, and
lost it's light end aromatics, buyer be ware.
  Some of the fuel companies are border line legal in what they pass off as
fuel, more so then any problem I've seen with the injectors..
  Just for grins, and using the proper saftey rules:
Take 10 cc's, of the fuel your running and add 1cc, of water, shake, and let
settle, If you wind up with more then 1cc of what looks to be water, then
that is, the alky content of your fuel.  I've seen upwards of 20%..  So what
does that really say.  The fuel company, is just passing off what ever they
can as fuel..  I'd be very leery of the detergent package  in that fuel.
Like plugs left with a pinkish hue to em, change fuel brands.
  And for the non sense, about using no higher octane then neccessary, well
if your ignoring engine life then fine..
Grumpy