DIY rev limiter

Matt Beaubien mattbeaubien at home.com
Mon Oct 25 02:17:54 GMT 1999

Hi all,

I have a friend who's trying to get a spec RX7 series running back home, and
would like to have a "spec" rev limiter in the interest of reliability.  I'm
not fully up on the ignition system but there are two distributors (with
points), along with a set of leading and trailing plugs.  My thought is to
kill spark to one set of plugs (vs all of them) to prevent nasty back-fires,
while hopefully cutting power.

Is there a relatively easy way of doing this?  Could a 555 be used to
monitor engine speed and then just ground one set of points?

Any help would be appreciated.

Matt Beaubien