GM Northstar/ (NOARCH SBC LT1 stuff for sale)/ LT1 730

Paul Tholey pxtx at erols.com
Mon Oct 25 02:43:13 GMT 1999

The more EFI related content is towards the end.  If anyone is annoyed by
fluffy stuff scroll down or hit the delete key now.

It was only a matter of time.  I bought an 87 Mitsubishi Starion about 2.5
ears ago.  I knew the head was junk at 68,000 miles but I figured I would
just put a SBC in and have fun.  Well, I ran across an Olds Aurora 4.0 and
thought that might be the ticket.  Now the price of the crank (which is why
I got it) is over $1000.  I can buy a used Northstar 4.6 for $300.  Not a
bad deal, it just has 2 stripped head bolts.  If the block is salvageable,
I can just use the Olds starter and other stuff, BUT if it ain't does
anyone here know if the cranks will interchange?  I know they have a
different part number, but they do have the same stroke.  I was just
wondering if anyone here knew for sure.

Now I spent the weekend at my local U-Pull-It.  I grabbed some Quad4 stuff
for comparison.  The fuel rail and injectors line right up.  The cool
'tuned header' looking intake lines up, even the bolt holes, but the port
tapers down too much for it to simply bolt up to the Northstar.  I think I
am going to figure out away to put these cool intakes on my buddies
Northstar project.  In time I will be able to do the physical comparison
between my Aurora stuff and his Northstar, but not anytime soon.

TOPIC CHANGE

I am seeing a bunch of talk on SBC stuff.  If it is helpful, I have a bunch
of cop car LT1 stuff for sale.  I am not an expert on LT1 vs traditional
SBC fit, but a deal is a deal.

I have a 1996 LT1 for sale for $600; it has everything except the alt, A/C
compressor, and electric air pump.  The motor has a slight rod knock, I
head it run, and the mileage is 71,XXX.  I live in the suburbs of
Philadelphia, PA.

I have a bunch of other LT1 motors that are hurt.  Bad blocks, rods, cranks
etc.  If anyone could use stuff like the injection systems (intake, TB,
injectors fuel rail, MAP sensor), iron LT1/Vortec heads, roller lifters and
cams, let me know.  I am just throwing out stuff off the top of my head.  I
think the heads and intake together are worth $200.

Does anyone even know how much of the LT1 stuff can be easily adapted to a
traditional SBC?

EFI CONTENT (Finally)

I do not currently have a PCM for the LT1 stuff.  I was thinking about
using a 730 ecm.  The only thing I see as an obstacle is the distributor.
I know the LT1 sees something like 360 pulses per 360 degree rotation,
while the 730 ecm can only read (again, I am going off the top of my head)
like 12 pulses per 360 degree rotation.  I will have to check my notes on
that.

I am sorry for the ramblings, but I hope I am not the only one who will
benefit from this discussion.

Best regards,

Paul Tholey