DIY_EFI Digest V4 #602

Ade + Lamb Chop alaw at mrc.soton.ac.uk
Tue Oct 26 18:23:11 GMT 1999

At 15:00 25/10/99 -0400, DIY_EFI Digest wrote:
>Backfires (actually afterburn - fire in the exhaust) is okay.  Especially
>in a racing series.  Scare your opponents, amaze your friends.

World rally cars (4 wheel drive, turbo charged) retard the ignition so much
on overrun that it actually fires on the exhaust stroke with the valve
open. This helps to keep the lag down by keeping the turbo spinning. You
cannot do THAT with a normal Dizzy system!!

>The bad news is that either ignition is enough on its own to ignite the
>fuel and allow you to overrev the engine.  You have to cut both ignition
>systems.  Anyway, why do you need a rev limiter?  The redline on the RX-7
>is only there to give some color to the tachometer.  I have overrevved my
>1st generation RX-7 all the way to 8500 RPM without damage.  (don't make a
>habit of that. :} )

Agreed you would be better off with a shift light. This is a light on the
dash which comes on at a predetermined point. The light should be nice and
bright so you can see it easily with your periferal vision. Set the light
to come on at the point where you want to change gear.

Ade