intakes continued....

Frederic Breitwieser frederic at xephic.dynip.com
Wed Oct 27 12:08:30 GMT 1999

Howdy Doug,

> I too was pondering this...I'd think that it really wouldn't matter if the
> carb manifold was operating wet flow or dry flow...VE and Cylinder Filling etc
> would be the same regardless...and the MPI will of course improve the fuel distribution...

>From a runner dimension & torque curve standpoint, it wouldn't matter.
A 12" runner is a 12" runner, but wet manifolds have other issues
associated with them, as in fuel can pool in certain spots depending on
the runner design.

> However...in talking with Arizona Speed and Marine they suggested that a
> single plane is better suited for a dry flow intake...even with a mild cam...

I would agree - its also easier to bore and insert injectors, because
all the runners (topside) are the same height.  Dual planes often have
their runners at different angles so it just makes the injector bung
fabrication thing slightly more complicated.

The Edelbrock streetmaster 383 I used is a low-rise (almost flat
actually) single plane intake made of aluminum, that can flow to about
4000 RPM so Edelbrock says.  They also said that intake "sucks" which is
why they don't make it anymore.  I found that amusing :)

> in the air stream...it seems that the highrise dual plane should still perform
> better at these milder engine speeds (below 6500)...

That wold be my guess as well.

--

Frederic Breitwieser
Xephic Technology