DIY_EFI digest V4 #501 / Lotus Engines / sizing of induction

K V Jaeger WhistleBlowers at bigpond.com
Fri Sep 3 02:37:40 GMT 1999

------=_NextPart_000_002E_01BEF5F8.48DE1100

Jon V,

You must have miscalculated somewhere along the line. A small engine =
will never pull those big CFM numbers.

{Engine cu.in x rpm / 1728 (No. of cu. ins in a cubic foot)} x VE =3D =
CFM

Ugly engines, VE =3D 75%

Highly tuned racing engine (at point of max. torque) =3D 100+ % VE

Tuned runner street engine =3D who knows, it varies.

To convert cc to cubic inches (according to Commercial Hydraulics manual =
I just picked up) multiply by 0.06102.

Much can be learned about engine breathing from a file that can be =
downloaded at the following ftp site:- ftp://ftp.superflow.com.au The =
file is called Dynomation Zip. From this file, you can print the manual =
(Doc). The wealth of knowledge about engine breathing contained in the =
manual is exceptional.=20
You can try coming from the www.superflow.com.au direction. Stop off and =
visit Holden Racing Team. These cars use MoTeC ECU's. Another Australian =
ECU is the Autronic, but I have noticed that you guys call it something =
else. I think the US dealer must re-badge this race ECU. Haltech is =
another Australian ECU, but these are a long way off the mark when =
compared to Motec's logic, hardware, power and interface software. This =
is my own opinion of course.=20
=20
Totally different subject =20

A while back Motorola were putting out an eval. board for one of their =
Coldfire processors. It came with Integrated Systems C/C++ compiler, a =
communication card for the PC, a serial cable. The debug firmware =
provided debug / disassembly and everything that opens and shuts. It =
just seemed that such a tool might be a handy little number for what =
most are doing. We paid $130.00 AU ($85.00 US). To cut a long story =
short we ended up using another type of processor with a lot more grunt =
for about the same money as the Coldfire, but this eval. package was =
well worth the money. Anyone familiar with it?

I am interested in the different projects going on. This digest is a lot =
of work for someone at your end, I am not sure who? I am sure, that we =
at this end should all be most grateful for your efforts.=20

Regards,
Ken Thompson.
WhistleBlowers at bigpond.com

------=_NextPart_000_002E_01BEF5F8.48DE1100

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Jon V,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>You must have miscalculated somewhere =
along the=20
line.&nbsp;A small engine will never pull those big CFM =
numbers.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>{Engine cu.in x rpm / 1728 (No. of cu. =
ins in a=20
cubic foot)} x VE =3D CFM</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ugly engines, VE =3D 75%</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Highly tuned racing engine (at point of =
max.=20
torque) =3D 100+ % VE</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Tuned runner street engine =3D who =
knows, it=20
varies.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>To convert cc to cubic inches =
(according to=20
Commercial Hydraulics manual I just picked up) multiply by =
0.06102.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Much can be learned about engine =
breathing from a=20
file that can be downloaded at the following ftp site:- <A=20
href=3D"ftp://ftp.superflow.com.au">ftp://ftp.superflow.com.au</A> The =
file is=20
called Dynomation Zip. From this file, you can print the manual (Doc). =
The=20
wealth of knowledge about engine breathing&nbsp;contained in the manual =
is=20
exceptional. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>You can try coming from the <A=20
href=3D"http://www.superflow.com.au">www.superflow.com.au</A> direction. =
Stop off=20
and visit Holden Racing Team.&nbsp;These cars use&nbsp;MoTeC ECU's. =
Another=20
Australian ECU is&nbsp;the Autronic, but I have noticed that you guys =
call it=20
something else. I think the US dealer must&nbsp;re-badge this race ECU. =
Haltech=20
is another Australian ECU, but these are a long way off the mark when =
compared=20
to Motec's logic, hardware,&nbsp;power and interface software. This is =
my own=20
opinion of course.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><U>Totally different subject</U>&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>A while back Motorola were putting out =
an eval.=20
board for one of their Coldfire processors. It came with Integrated =
Systems=20
C/C++ compiler, a communication card for the PC, a serial cable. The =
debug=20
firmware provided debug / disassembly and everything that opens and =
shuts. It=20
just seemed that such a tool&nbsp;might be a handy little number for =
what most=20
are doing. We paid $130.00 AU ($85.00 US). To cut a long story short we =
ended up=20
using another type of processor with a lot more grunt for about the same =
money=20
as the Coldfire, but this eval. package was well worth the money. Anyone =

familiar with it?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am interested in the different =
projects going=20
on.&nbsp;This digest is a lot of work for someone at your end, I am not =
sure=20
who?&nbsp;I am sure, that we&nbsp;at this end should all be&nbsp;most =
grateful=20
for your efforts. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Regards,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ken Thompson.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"mailto:WhistleBlowers at bigpond.com">WhistleBlowers at bigpond.com</A>=
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>