Measuring MAF

John Dammeyer johnd at autoartisans.com
Sat Sep 11 16:30:10 GMT 1999

Hi,

I'll put in my two cents here.    Don't know how clever you are with electronics
but if you purchase a differential pressure transducer you can build a simple
flow meter by measuring the difference in pressure at two points.  Create a
supply tube that has a restriction and measure the pressure at the restriction
and the point before the restriction.  (venturi in effect).  As long as you
know the temperature of the air flow and the size of the tubes you can calculate
the airflow.  Then,  just use a DC powered fan with a variable power supply to
push air through this pipe into the MAF sensor.

Alternatively,  you might be able to rent a hot wire anemometer from an air
conditioning firm and if you place that in the air stream of your air supply you
can also calibrate the MAF sensor.  I'm willing to bet that once you get a few
accurate set points you can probably extrapolate the entire curve.

BTW.  Thanks for the info on the SAAB.  I have a 900 Turbo.

Regards,

John

>Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 20:13:57 -0400
>From: bjanesi at juno.com