Low impedance waste spark coils?

Clay Buccellato (Anthony) claybu at sr.hp.com
Mon Sep 13 16:46:12 GMT 1999

Does anyone know of a good source for hot, low impedance,
distributorless coils? They're not much different from standard coils,
except for having two spark plugs in series on each side of the
secondary windings. I'm also interested in a four-channel capacitive
discharge driver for the coils, such as MSD's DSI-4, only with more
current handling capability. I think the MSD is a bit limited, and
cannot drive the really hot coils, just like their old 6AL box.

As far as I can tell, the only coil packs currently available are the
factory units from Ford and Chevy. I've been told that they suffer from
insulation breakdown on the secondary side, if you try and drive them
very  hard. I'm looking for the waste-spark equivalent of the Crane
PS-92, or MSD pro-power. I want lightning bolts  :)

I'm putting together an EFI setup for a BBC using the Speed-Pro ECU. I
don't want to spend good money buying old technology (distributor), and
I need an ignition system. I've checked with the big three, MSD, Crane,
and Jacobs. Jacobs claims to have prototypes, but thats about it. Any
ideas?
--
                                      -Clay