Electric Superchargers

Bill Bradley senator at ugcs.caltech.edu
Thu Sep 16 12:33:48 GMT 1999

> Well, has anyone thought of doing this *right*?  Install additional
> alternator capacity to support running the unit consistently.  Put in an
> intercooler, etc. to support higher boost levels, like a real turbo.
>
> Such a system has the following advantages:
>
> 1) More fuel efficient than a supercharger

	How's that again?  How is a load from the alternator any different
from the load of a supercharger?

> 4) No parasitic drag when not in operation; relatively little even under
> boost

	See #1)

> I can think of the following disadvantages:
>
> 1) Current electric superchargers may not have sufficient duty cycle
> and/or airflow.
>
> 2) Alternator drag/battery drain may be more than I expect.

	Bingo!  The work to compress a gas is delta-(pV).  If you want
a small volume (low rpm) and small increase in pressure, fine, but a 10hp
electric motor would draw over 600A at 12V.  Not really practical.

> 4) No one else is doing it, so there must be some obvious problem that I
> haven't thought of.

	Yep, load is load whether from a supercharger or alternator.
TANSTAAFL (There ain't no such thing as a free lunch)

	Bill