Problem with an MPi Rover mini

Ade + Lamb Chop alaw at mrc.soton.ac.uk
Sat Sep 18 08:15:07 GMT 1999

Hi All,

I have just joined this list but have been a long term member of the
Mini-list (mini-list at autox.team.net) Somebody on the Mini list (Tom Parker)
recomended you guys as to help with a problem I have and to increase my
general knowledge of Injection systems.

I don't know how much actual Mini related stuff you guys know but here is
some basic info which should help... What I have is a multi point injection
system on a Rover A series engine which is a 4 piston 1275cc with a 5 port
(2 inlet 3 exhaust) head the ECU has the following sensors,

Crank postion,
Cam shaft postion,
MAP sensor,
Engine coolant temperature,
Intake air temperature,
Throttle postion (potentiometer mounted on the throttle body)

It uses and IACV (idle air control valve) which bypasses the throttle valve
to control the idle speed.

My problem is this. With the engine warm it tends to miss fire a little at
idle and the pick up from idle is not instananious, it sounds as tho it
pinks slightly then picks up. It is also blowing oil from the filler cap
but I have checked the breather system (uses manifold depression but also
has a connection to the filter side of the throttle body too) and all the
hoses/oil seperators are clear.

I look forward to learning as much from this this as I have from the Mini
list... I looks like I am going to be looking after this mini for a long
time....

Ade

Lamb Chop 1989 heavily modified mini (Carb)
Truffles 1997 Mpi Rover Cooper Sport (my Girl Friends)
Situated in Southampton UK