DIY_EFI Digest V4 #527

WLundquist at aol.com WLundquist at aol.com
Sat Sep 18 12:06:54 GMT 1999

Chris C. wrote;

For my next silly question, I'm looking for some putty or clay like
material to fill in large areas of an intake manifold. Once it hardens
I want to be able to come back with grinding tools and reshape it.
The reason is that I am having, hopefully, a custom manifold fabbed
up, and (a) it's lots cheaper to have it made very rectangular, and
(b) it might take several tries to get the porting right.

I am thinking maybe J-B Weld, in case lots, or polyester resin. Any
and all suggestions and warnings would be appreciated!

Chris,
 You didn't say if the manifold was aluminium or cast iron so, Devcon makes a
two part epoxy aluminium filler that is machinable and you can drill and tap.
It makes a very good bond to clean material. I have used it on several
manifolds  and found no problems with it. If you are working on cast iron
Devcon makes an epoxy for it also.
Another great product for  working on cylinder heads is Belzona Molecular but
its expensive. Try your local W.P.&R.S. Mars Co., MSC or industrial shops,
machinists use this stuff too.
   Good Luck    Wayne