DIY_EFI Digest V4 #531

Pat Ford pford at qnx.com
Mon Sep 20 12:23:27 GMT 1999

 the problem is if liquid water hits the sensor the element
inside can shatter ( remember also that there is a passage
to the outside from the element)

Previously, you (DIY_EFI Digest) wrote:

{
{ > >  I recently read some messages claiming O2 sensors could be damaged by
{ > > water in the exhaust stream.  Is this true?  Would it have to be liquid
{ > > water, or would steam be a problem?  I'm contemplating substantial water
{ >
{
{ Water is a byproduct of combustion and inherently will be in the exhaust gas.
{ Perhaps what was being referred to was engine coolant, not water, which could
{ damage the sensor.
{
{ Bill Edgeworth

Pat Ford                           email: pford at qnx.com
QNX Software Systems, Ltd.           WWW: http://www.qnx.com
(613) 591-0931      (voice)         mail: 175 Terrence Matthews
(613) 591-3579      (fax)                 Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2M 1W8