Problem with getting off idle with Stock Rover MEMS

Ade + Lamb Chop alaw at mrc.soton.ac.uk
Mon Apr 10 20:49:17 GMT 2000

At 01:40 10/04/00, you wrote:
>At 09:48 PM 8/4/2000 +0100, you wrote:
>>I have a stock Mpi Rover mini. Getting the engine off idle is difficult,
>>you give the throttle a tap and the engine hestates then comes up. If you
>>tap the throttle several times you can almost get the engine to stop.
>>Suggestions?
>
>This sounds like the sort of thing that happens with a failing
>accelerator pump...

That is what I thought hence the thinking it could be the TPS... It is TPS
that the ECU uses to sense sudden accelerator movements... not MAP??

>>I am thinking TPS.. It is only a POT and everbody knows that pots get
>>noisey....
>>
>>What do you think?
>
>My car doesn't have a pot. It has an idle switch and a small PCB with
>a track in a square wave pattern. When you press the throttle, the sensor
>sends out pulses - about 16 from idle to WOT.

This is definatly a pot... rover manual says so....... OK so maybe it isn't
:-)

>In my experience the things that fail first are connectors, not the actual
>sensors...

I have checked the connector already... well unplugged squirted a bit of
WD40 in there... Quick visual inspection.

Thanx,

Ade