Problem with getting off idle with Stock Rover MEMS

Ade + Lamb Chop alaw at mrc.soton.ac.uk
Tue Apr 11 19:05:14 GMT 2000

At 12:57 11/04/00 +0100, Rich M wrote:
>Rover MPi MEMS certainly uses TPS (yes, it is a pot) to deliver accel.
>enrichment, MAP is used for steady state running.
>Does the engine behave the same if you disconnect the TPS?

Havn't tried... Worried about causing damage... Sure I am OK to do this?

>I have had brief experience with MEMS MPi (Rover 214, but same system),
>running with TPS disconnected produces effect very similar to what you
>describe, runs fine steady state but stumbles badly with change of throttle
>position. Disconnecting MAP instead has the opposite effect, runs like a
>bag-o-nails steady state but goes fine if you drive like a nutter and keep
>the throttle movin!
>Have you tried measuring the pot resistance with a multimeter?

It is impossible to get to insitu!! It is my Fiencee's Mini and mine has
been taking rather more attention recently... I also think the problem has
got worse over the past few months. It was just noticable when driving...
moving off the line it would be difficult to stop it bogging down if you
wanted to get away quickly. Now I can almost get it to stall by blipping
the throttle repeatedly.

Thanx,

Ade