SBC 400

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Wed Apr 19 01:52:41 GMT 2000

20 thousandths, as in .020"??  Stock specs are around .005" max, so
you've got a hell of a knocker there!  I've had one sb Chebbie with
excessive crank end play, sounded like a rod bearing going out.  Loud
enough to scare small kids when under load.  Luckily, the rear bearing
(which is also the thrust surface) was the worn part, not the crank.
So new bearings solved the problem.  Don't know what to recommend if
it's not the bearing, except be prepared to r&r the crank...
Shannen