Mini Tech - was Re: New Saab Engine Tech

Peter Gargano peter at ntserver.techedge.com.au
Wed Apr 19 21:59:23 GMT 2000

nacelp wrote:

>   I can't help to think, a DIF-EFI Mini would be the perfect car (specially
> 5 or 6 speed)(maybe turboed).

An irregular contributor to the GMECM list has a 998 cc mini (Brisbane, QLD)
and it's using a 1227808 setup for a 4 cylinder 2.0L (Camira), but with
just two injectors firing into each of the two siamesed inlet ports. He
was planning on supercharging the 13xx cc version he's building, but I'm
trying to convince him to go turbo. Both he and I have the Clubman body
(that's the non-classic, newer style, circa. 1970), so there's plenty of room
for a turbo to go where the radiator was (with radiator relocated along front of
engine bay).

Interesting thing is that he has it running "totally driveable" with the
unmodified JE 2.0 calibration. Also, Ben used a Honda Civic dizzy's innards
(because it was a close match) grafted to the Mini's own base, and connected
to a standard GM HEI module.

Now, if I can just get the "syty" 1227749 code to work on a 1227808 (ie. 1227165),
I reckon a turbo will be on the cards...

Ade + Lamb Chop wrote:

>... Oil leak city... Just like driving a mini!

A couple of months ago, I got my own 998 Mini going - after a complete strip
and rebuild (I only got one part in backwards!).  First the bolt on oil
filter gasket blew (spraying oil all over the front of the motor), then the
oil pressure sender blew (spraying oil all over...).

OTOH, the other day, the family's VN V6 power steering high pressure flexible
hose decided it had been close enough to the exhaust pipe for long enough,
(and sprayed...) Funny thing is - it was harder to replace that hose than any
other job I've yet had to do on the Mini!

Peter.