Digital dash

Dave & Irina Eicher sailors at mwci.net
Thu Apr 27 10:59:36 GMT 2000

I've been planning to instrumentation in graphics on an LCD for my project
car for quite some time now also. I quickly figured out that LCD displays
are very sensitive to temperature, that LCDs that can work over a useful
temp range for automotive (industrial -40 to +85 C) just about don't exist
and the ones that do are prohibitively expensive. So........, I arrived at
the conclusion that what I needed to do was build a cradle in console of my
car (64 Impala SS) that will accept a portable computer of some sort (Palm,
Laptop, etc.) that can be removed. This computer would then be exposed to
only the temperatures we expose ourselves too.

An alternative to that is the RLC LCD-plus computer (see it at:
http://www.rlc.com/Home.htm). This is a Windows-CE based machine with a 1/4
VGA color (or mono) LCD, and almost any amount of I/O you want to add. I was
planning on using this machine when I could afford it, use Visual C++ to
build some graphical instruments, and a twin turbo control page programmed
in as well (so I can disable the boost when my wife is driving the car, she
don't know how to handle 500 hp!). My C++ is rusty at best, and even almost
nonexistant, so....., I'm getting it installed on my machine at work and at
home so I can start tinkering. I'm told that VC++ has classes defined for
instruments or gauges already, so should be fairly easy to get things
started (or maybe it's Visual Studio, I'm not sure). This machine will have
some temperature limitations too, but it can be programmed to keep the
display powered down until the display temp comes up to something manageable
(for those of us in the midwest where the winters can get REAL cold). There
is a very real risk with temperature on the high end also, the dash of the
car sitting in a parking lot in Phoenix might reach 175 degrees F,
yowwzzzaaa! But....., the software can protect the display (which would go
anisotropic at that temperature).

In the most recent issue of EETimes there is an article about the 2001
Cadillacs having an optional computer built into the dash that can do GPS
(Global Positioning system) navigation and plot your position on a map, plus
give internet access while you're driving (and we thought cell phones were a
problem!). My plan was to use Delorme mapping software which accepts inputs
from a GPS receiver, and would give the same capability. But....., I don't
know if Delorme will make their stuff available for Windows CE (I will ask
them). Their stuff doesn't work quite as well as the Never-lost stuff
Magellan makes for rental cars but I bet it will get better as time goes on.

Anyway, the sky's the limit when you start putting a computer in a vehicle,
my plan is to call it a vehicle management computer, do the graphical
instruments using data from the EFI computer (and my own sensors as well if
required), do the navigation (HUGE benefit when traveling in strange areas),
manage my boost control electronically (gotta have a password to turn the
boost up over a pre-defined limit, this is offspring management, 20 year old
son :-)), monitor my ABS brakes and traction control, electrical system,
lighting system, air suspension, etc. (my Lexus does most of this already, I
just want to expand on it somewhat, and in a 64 Impala!). Want to add remote
keyless entry with remote start capabiltiy (to allow the car to warm up or
cool down), etc. Better run, I'm rambling. regards, dave