None standard blow off valve danger.

Chris Wilson chris at formula3.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 28 11:21:28 GMT 2000

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 10:26:17 -0400
Mike Pitts <mpitts at netspeak.com> wrote:

mpitts> Chris,
mpitts>
mpitts> I just turbocharged a non-turbo car.  In the process,
mpitts> I added a blowoff valve.  Initially I had it venting
mpitts> to atmosphere. The ECU is hotwire MAF based and this
mpitts> caused some problems with stalling on decel, and overly
mpitts> lean on initial accel since the BOV would open slightly
mpitts> and allow unmetered air to enter.  Plumbing the BOV
mpitts> outlet between the MAF and turbo inlet solved the
mpitts> problems completely.  It's a joy to drive again.
mpitts>
mpitts> I will always plumb BOV's into the intake from now on.
mpitts> Just makes good sense.
mpitts>
mpitts> <<An oscilloscope on the O2 sensors confirmed what was happening.>>
mpitts>
mpitts> Hmmm, since you already have a setup using a 'scope to
mpitts> read your O2 sensors, would you mind posting the waveform
mpitts> difference between the pre-cat O2 and post-cat O2 sensors?

I admit I had a friend do this, I am an ignoramous when it comes to
`scopes. He read the pattern, i was trying to do it with a digital
voltmeter and struggling. As he was moaning about doing this in the
first place (he isn't a car nut), I may not be able to do this, and i
wouldn't have a clue how to get the scope pattern from the scope to
e-mail... :-) I don't believe the Skyline has post cat O2 senors, and
mine hasn't got a cat at all.. It has two O2 sensors just after the
turbos, and we read those.

              Best Regards,
                      Chris Wilson
           http://www.formula3.demon.co.uk
(Race car and engine preparation and development)